Friday 14 January 2011

The Student March

I was a little horrified to read an article by a journalist about how her 13 year old daughter went on the student march about fees.

No I'm not going into the rights or wrongs of the issue but I'm just recording my thoughts about some parenting.

This young lady asked her mother whether or not she could go on this march (silly term as they are not marching but walking!).

I suppose student walk doesn't have the same ring about it.

Any rate I digress. According to the mother the daughter had little idea about the pros and cons of the debate but just wanted to go "because all my friends are going"

The headteacher had told the pupils that they could have time off to go on the march if they had a note from their parents/guardians.

Am I the only one who can see the foolishness of this?

For heaven sake we have a headteacher and parents allowing children (yes children!) to go on a march where there is likely to be disruptive elements present.

Apart from the fact that the protest is being diluted by having persons present who probably do not fully understand the issues what about the safety of the children?

It strikes me that both the headteacher and the parents need to have their heads examined!

Protest by all means but lets be sensible about it!

Joke for today:- Advice to teenagers. Leave home nowwhile you still know everything.

On this day; 14th January

In 1963 De Gaulle says non to Britain joining the EEC

In 1989 British Muslims burned copies of Salman Rushdie's book "The Satanic Verses"

John F.Beaumont

No comments:

Post a Comment