Wednesday 12 January 2011

Doctors Surgeries.

I had to make an appointment to see my doctor for, hopefully, a minor complaint.

The first appointment available was over 2 weeks away.

This got me thinking about how things have changed in doctor's surgeries.

When I was a lad back in the late 40's and early 50's you just went to the surgery,sat in the waiting room and when it was your turn you went in to see the doctor.

No receptionist, no nurse etc. The doctor just went to his/her filing cabinet and got out your notes.

There were two surgeries a day, one in the morning and the other in the evening for the workers returning home.

Even in the mid 60's when I was first married the same system was in place.

During the day the doctor would visit those who could not make it to the surgery.

The appointment was normally made with the doctor's wife.

Compare it with today's surgery. In my doctor's practice there are 6 doctors, about the same number of receptionists, three or four nurses, 2 or 3 phlebotomists, practice manager, assistant practice manager, 2 secretaries and at least one counsellor.

Great and it now takes two weeks to see the doctor instead of 2 hours at most.

Where is the progress?

Agreed there have been massive leaps in technology but surely that should improve times not extend them.

I think the National Health Service is out of control especially as I didn't mention all the hierarchy of persons controlling the surgeries.

Let's have a joke:- A man walks into a doctor's surgery. I haven't seen you for a long time says the doctor. I know replies the man I've been ill.

On this day:- January 12th

Boeing 747 makes its maiden transatlantic flight in 1970.

In 1948 the first British supermarket was opened.
John F.Beaumont

No comments:

Post a Comment