Monday 26 April 2010

Democracy. Just a myth?

Hey I was thinking about my last blog and my thoughts turned to democracy.

Are we a democratic society still? In fact have we ever been?

The reason I ask is that in the U.K. at the present time there is a lot of talk abour recycling.

In my area we already have 4 systems for rubbish or as our American friends would say garbage.

One bin is for garden rubbish which can be composted. A second is for glass/old clothing. The third is for plastic/paper and last but not least is the bin for material that cannot be recycled.

However there was an article in the paper recently where it was stated that we could all end up with 8 or 9 bins/bags for different types of recycled material. We will need a degree in recycling soon!!

Now I am all for recycling where possible but my point is that a large proportion of the populace is up in arms about it. They don't want 8/9 bins!

So? My question is then why should we be made to follow this line. If we are a democratic society then we tell the authorities that it is not acceptable. Ah but this is E.U. legislation. Hey the E.U. is supposed to be democratic isn't it?

The same argument applies to speed cameras. Most people appear to doubt their effect (apart from raising extra money!) and want them removed. This does not appear to be happening though so where is democracy?

Enough of my rant. Let's be cheerful. At least we can afford all the consumer goods which are then recycled and own cars which can break speed limits. Many people in the world would love these benefits.
Chris has done some more work on my website www.whoisjohnbeaumont.com and I have written another mini article
Thought for today: Who you are and who you will become is up to you
Joke for today: A frog's perspective on life: time's fun when you're having flies. (Think about it)
On this day: 28th April
In 1945 Mussolini was killed
In 1789 the mutiny on the Bount took place
In 1770 Captain Cook lands in Botany Bay

No comments:

Post a Comment