Thursday 28 January 2010

Swimming thoughts

I went swimming today. Did my pottering up and down for 26 lengths. Nowhere as fit as I used to be when I was younger when I used to go every lunch time with some colleagues. (why do we now say co-workers? I think colleagues is a much nicer term) We always used to have races so was good fun as well as keeping me healthy. Normally we used to take a car to the swimming baths (another old term -now we say pool or more likely leasure centre) but one very cold snowy day we walked. When I got back in the office a lot of my colleagues fell about laughing as my hair had frozen and was standing up in spikes!! Should have dried it properly!
Another time a boss of a nearby firm who used to come with some of his workers to give us races found that his wallet had been stolen. Normally there was only our group swimming but on this day there were two other people there.The attendant quickly locked the doors and sent for the police (nowadays wouldn't be allowed to lock the doors "helf and sayftee!!") The money was eventually found hidden in a toilet cistern. However the point of this narrative is the amount was £2000 and this was in the early 1960's!! Fancy carrying that amount around on your person. What would be the equivalent of £2000 today?

Thought for today:- Are you taking sufficient risks? I don't mean stupid risks but well thought out risks. How are you going to get out of your comfort zone if you don't take any risks. Go out onto the limb. That is where the fruit is.

Joke for today:- An attractive femail student approachs her lecturer. I would do anything to get a pass in this exam she says. Anything? replies the lecturer. Yes anything the student gasps.
Then how about you study he replies.

On this day:- January 29th
In 1987 Gorbachev calls for democracy
In 1916 Britain began tank trials
In 1861 Kansas became the 34th US state

No comments:

Post a Comment